Moving Integrations to SaaS and Ultra
Scott Hurley, Mark O’Neil and Lynn Zingraf – Blackboard
What is your Migration Strategy
- Define long term goals
- Prioritize integrations
- Know your platform options
- Know your API options
- Seize the Opportunity
- Transition to SaaS
- Move to Ultra
- Adopt REST for ease of development/delivery?
Prioritize Your Integrations
- One reason you may be sitting here is that you already have an investment in using integrations to customize your faculty’s and student’s teaching & learning experience.
- A key consideration for your migration path is the importance of each of your integrations and the feasibility of delivering them on the currently available architecture.
- Knowing the importance of each integration, your options for delivery of that integration, and available APIs each help you to prioritize and schedule migration of your integrations as a project
- Redesign the user experience
– no longer bound by Blackboard JSP constraints
– Meet change in goals
- Use your untapped resources
– REST and API language agnostic!
– You no longer need Java Expertise
- Expand availability to non-Blackboard resources
– REST and API integrations run external to your LEARN server
– Make them available to additional portals and services
Seize the opportunity to NOT migrate and integration.
B.B. adopted REST as our forward architecture for providing APIs to integrate with Blackboard products
Rest API Progress
IMS Standards Support
LTI provides a secure connection between a learning tool and a platform like Blackboard learn. It is http-based and provides a context on launch.
How does Blackboard Support this in Original?
LTI 1.3 (not supported yet)
- Based on 1.1
- Improved Security model
- Separates the security model from the rest of the spec, allowing IMS to more easily keep the security model up to date
- Designed specifically to align with the services of LTI Advantage
- Includes improved documentation and around implementing and migration
- Package of extensions that work with LTI
- All bout the usability of the standard
- Creates a dream work for new features
- Enables deeper integration with any tool
Deep linking – Names and Roles – Assignments and Grades
Q4 2017 Deep linking Q2 2018 Names and roles – assignments and grades are in development
Global standard that provides for learning data collection
- Gather data from across systems
- Define a common language for labeling learning data
- Standard way of measure data
- Leverage data
- Make it useful
- Community.blackboard.com – look for Bb development community
- Developer.blackboard.com – documentation on REST APIs etc..
- Open innovation initiative
- Hands on and onsite training