July 13, 2016 4:35 – 5:25
Only 59% graduate from college after 4-6
12.5 Million 20-somethings with some college credits and no degree
Understanding students’ struggles through research – what we learned:
- Student journey is messy
- Students feel alone and anxious
- feel urgency to make decisions
- lack of connections between short and long-term goals
The average advisor to student ratio – 1:300
Student success is a complex problem, but there are clear ways Blackboard can help.
Our student success philosophy
Blackboard Plan -empowering students to take control of educational journey (exploration, planning, registration) Partnership with Burning Glass
- Discover careers based on interests (in development) Bb Plan
Students can self-identify interests and seek careers that align with those interests
- Explore career and skill demand (is there demand for that profession and if so, where is it?)
- Learn about jobs first hand – partnership with road-trip nation (video interviews of people in professions) giving students first hand accounts of working in desired profession. See real job postings that exist today
- Seek Help from Advisors – making help accessible to students
- View Degree Progress
- Conduct “what if” analysis (what if I wanted to that program instead?)
- Planning a course schedule
- Register for courses
Blackboard Predict – Humans helping students (enabling those people to do a better job at helping students) Importance of Data, What they are doing with Data
- Predict takes in 2 data sources SIS (demographic data) and LMS (course activity)
- Taking that data and predicting (probability that student will pass etc..) which then points to who should I reach out to and who would benefit most from the interaction? for advisor.
- Knowing more about students, passing the data on through a display that gives advisor more information about you (helps advisor engage with student to build relationship)
Blackboard Engage – The business of being a student needs to be easier (personalized, relevant and focused on student success)
- Building toward a streaming pathway
- supporting entire student lifecycle from inquiry to enrollment to student support: Global advisor and coach community, lead nuturing and enrollment mgmt, student support services, and more…
- Communications need to be customized to where that student is in their lifecycle and who they are.
Improve advising with Blackboard Advise – a web-based advising tool that provides insight into students plans.
- enable advisors to guide students to success (quickly understand who is on track and who is at-risk
- Provide proactive guidance and support critical milestones
- 24/7/365 contact centers (financial aid/enrollment mgmt/registration/advising)