Once you get the license, what do you do with it? Customize interface to engage students and faculty across your institution.
- Create tabs, sub-tabs, and modules
- each tab, sub-tab can be configured to appear to users that are assigned to a particular role
- A module is bascialy a box that can contain: text, video etc..
Primary Roles are Students, faculty, staff.
For tabs or modules that have information relevant to students and or faculty in certain department, we set up college-specific institutional roles.
Student/faculty login has generic content and customized content. Advertising, Marketing, Student Life
Students: Top layer tab has student services tab – links to student service pages, Jobs for Kats as Top Layer Tab
Faculty: (Faculty services tab – centralizes info that was scattered across website) My media module (Kaltura)
Subtabs – Tech Support/Resources (support desk hours) (clean up My courses video), Kaltura subtab, My media and faculty repository on it along with self-help for Kaltura. Blackboard Collaborate subtab(embed the webpage), Blackboard subtab for IM.
Wilmington uses colleges on Top lvl tabs that contain info that they may want behind a login. Each of these tabs have subtabs with more info (question, how do you envision having 6 tabs one for each college). Tabs to other systems
Things to Keep in mind:
*Tabs don’t open up in new browser tab.
*when embedding content use HTTPS*Have rules and policies for what content can go where (Governance)
*Set up a calendar to manage/schedule the content
*keep MY Courses at top right and announcements at top center
Bulk of orgs are Academic in nature, a fair amount of student orgs, smaller honor societies and departments.
Come up with and keep up with a naming convention.
Implementing Communities (Organizations Subtab with “My Organizations” module) Contains video explaining what orgs are and how they work. Including support documentation. (Have an org catalog), link to a request form.
3 ways to enroll users into orgs:
- Self Enrollment – No level of privacy
- Manual Enrollment – Leader has complete control, but has to do it all themselves.
- Automatically adding someone who meets a certain criteria (SIS Based), some people may not want to be enrolled. (come up with un-enrollment process – place a default link in orgs with instructions to e-mail leader etc..) come up with code of conduct link for orgs as well.
Tips to Increase Students Use of Organizations (Require leaders to go to training)
– Make registration process simple
– Put out a press release on ORGS (get the word out)
– Videotaping campus events or use collaborate
– have student representatives talk for them
Online Student Association – Blackboard Org (Engaging Online Students) – automatically add every student taking an online course.
- Discussion board of the month – “What can we do to engage our online students at homecoming?” small giftcard or prize of randomly selected participant
- Online Student of the Semester – (we can use our ads) Short little bios, students can apply we can focus on them.
- Introductions Discussion Board (Networking)
- Have video and webpage about this organization
Remind your constituencies what Blackboard Communities does for them. Press Releases, videos etc… Target program chairs about Bb Orgs.
– Get Departmental Involvement
– Dedicate a staff member to serve as community admin- Audit content every year
– People that do not have a Bb Login will not be able to access any content in Orgs
Leave a Reply